Waite Conservation Reserve
The Waite Conservation Reserve in the Adelaide Hills face area, was dedicated to conservation and the furtherance of scientific knowledge in 1992. Despite intermittent grazing over most of the 20th century the Reserve remains the best surviving example of Grey Box Grassy Woodland. Home to hundreds of species of native plants as well as kangaroos, koalas and echidnas, it is a valuable asset to the University and the people of South Australia. Much work maintaining the Reserve is carried out by dedicated volunteers.
The logo of the Waite Conservation Reserve features the blue devil - Eryngium rostratum, a spiny herb that occurs in the Reserve and has conservation status.
The western part of the Reserve was purchased by Peter Waite and bequeathed to the University of Adelaide in 1914. The University subsequently was given, and bought, additional land to the east. The Reserve now comprises 147 hectares, of which 131 hectares are under Heritage Agreement. Magnificent remnant grey box trees and native understorey species are also to be found in the northwest section of Waite Arboretum. The Waite Conservation Reserve is open to the public from dawn to dusk every day (except on days of extreme fire danger). A walking trail guide and a map of tracks are available.
Support for the Reserve
Support for the Waite Conservation Reserve has been received from Natural Heritage Trust Envirofund, SA Urban Forest Biodiversity Program, Work for the Dole (funded by the Commonwealth Government), Activ-8 Grant Program (funded by the SA Government), SA Heritage Agreement Grant , and Sustainable Resources / SA Dept of Water, Land and Biodiversity Conservation (DWLBC).