Urrbrae House Historic Precinct
The Urrbrae House Historic Precinct is situated on the Waite Campus of the University of Adelaide on land bequeathed by Peter Waite to the University in 1922, for use in part as an agricultural research and teaching facility and in part as an area for public recreation. The land has remained unsubdivided since 1839.
Today, Urrbrae House is an accredited museum with the History SA (formerly SA History Trust) ) and the Waite Historic Precinct, incorporating the Urrbrae House Historic Precinct is part of the University of Adelaide's Office for Community Engagement.
The Urrbrae House Historic Precinct incorporates:
- Urrbrae House, was completed in 1891 as the Waite family home.
- The House Gardens, redeveloped in the 1990s, are sympathetic to the original gardens surrounding Urrbrae House.
- The Battery House believed to be the first purpose built domestic powerhouse in South Australia.
- Peter Waite's Garage.
- The Coach House, which housed the first laboratory of the Waite Agricultural Research Institute.
The Waite Historic Precinct
The Urrbrae House Historic Precinct and Waite Arboretum are listed on the State Heritage List and National Estate.