The refrigeration plant in the basement rooms of Urrbrae House was designed and installed by Wildridge & Sinclair of Sydney for Peter Waite in 1895. It was the first domestic refrigeration plant in Australia. The plant consists of four rooms:
- plant room containing the compressor, electric motor and other equipment
- freezer or chiller room and
- two coldrooms
The refrigeration plant was restored by a group of enthusiastic volunteers led by Ray White of White Refrigeration and the late Dr John Pickles. The restoration was completed in 1996 and is recognised with a Historic Engineering Marker plaque at the entrance to Urrbrae House.
Currently, the refrigeration plant is not open to the general public. Major salt damp treatment of the basement levels of Urrbrae House in recent years necessitated the dismantling and storage of the refrigeration plant equipment. Once moisture levels have stabilised, repair work to the walls of the plant rooms will be undertaken and the equipment will be reinstated.